Thursday, November 24, 2016

The Hired Hand process

Here's a post about the making of the illustration I did for Arrow Films blu-ray release of The Hired Hand.

My first sketch was drawn in Procreate on the iPad, and was approved straight away.














I then imported that into Manga Studio and started adding layers of photo ref, screen-grabbed from a dvd of the movie along with a photo of my legs to add to the main figure...














A tight pencil drawing was then done over that on a new layer...














Then I added a layer of rough airbrush colours, along with a scan of some real paper textures...


Then I started drawing into that with coloured pencils. I did the big head first...














And then the rest...













4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is awesome! I'm actually a writer but I also draw out of nessecity/fun and I've recently been using a Microsoft surface with photoshop. I believe I read you correctly that you've switched over to digital for kill or be killed (which I think is by far your best work yet!) and I was curious about your process so this helps a lot! But I was also curious if you have any digital process videos online somewhere I could check out because I'm eager to learn more!
Keep up the stellar work!
Thanks
-luis

Dan Cooney said...

Thanks for sharing your process for this project, Sean. Beautiful work! May I ask what type of color pencils you use? Sometimes I go back over my color pencil work with ink and looking for something less waxy. Keep up the inspiring work. Cheers, Dan

PullingPictures said...

great stuff

andie said...

Ahh wow. Thanks for the in depth insight to your process. This is gold star stuff.